Home Survival 101 Medical Myths – Ingested Poisoning

Medical Myths – Ingested Poisoning

by Survival Dispatch Staff

Paint thinner, car wax, moth balls, a lighter, raid, windex, nail polish remover, and a sharpie

With ingested poisoning, you do not want to cause vomiting as the caustic substance will cause additional damage to the esophagus on the way back up.  If you have cell service, call poison control for advice. The number anywhere in the country is 800-222-1222. You will be routed to the nearest poison control center.

If contacting poison control is not an option, then you need to dilute the substance.  This can be done with milk or activated charcoal.  Activated charcoal is a slurry, usually available in a flavor, which absorbs the substance, hopefully, before it is absorbed by the digestive system, so time is of the essence.

If the person is not breathing, BE VERY CAREFUL if giving mouth-to-mouth.  Use some kind of barrier device so you do not get the substance on your lips.

In fact, the protocol now for all ingested poisoning, caustic or not, is NOT to induce vomiting.  So throw out the ipecac and carry activated charcoal in your med kit.

Poison emergency help number

 

0 comment

Related Articles

Leave a Comment