Anonymous Phone Usage …
Much like a burner phone, the idea is to have a smartphone that can’t be traced to you via Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
This doesn’t mean it cannot be tracked via GPS but rather it can be operated with anonymity.
- Buy an unlocked phone from a retailer using cash. (Don’t buy from a service provider). Do not enter a contract nor provide PII.
- Unbox, leave phone powered off. Insert a microphone blocking plug. Place an adhesive camera blocker over the front and rear cameras, (duct tape, foil tape, etc).
- Go to a public WiFi access. Power on phone. Setup accounts using a new email address and again providing no PII.
- Disable all invasive features such as device error logging, GPS, NFC, bluetooth, location sharing, health tracking functions, etc. Delete all bloatware apps.
- Purchase a data SIM card. Not a standard SIM with cellular phone plan. Use apps for communication over internet protocols.
- Power phone off, remove battery if possible, and place in Faraday bag when not in use.
This article was originally written by the Grayman Briefing. Stay in the know, sign up for Intel and Situational Awareness alerts pushed to your phone on emerging threats and preparedness warnings. Click HERE to subscribe to the Grayman Briefing.