Counter Surveillance Hack for Maps
BLUF: Protect your privacy from people using Google Maps to surveil your home. Blur your whole house or property.
- Go to Google Maps & enter your home address or pan the map & click (long press on phone app) on the Point of Interest (POI).
- Enter into Street View mode by dragging the small yellow human-shaped icon, found in the bottom-right corner of the screen, onto the map in front of your POI. (If on the phone app, drag the footer menu up then tap the street view image)
- With your house in view, click “report a problem” in the bottom-right corner of the screen. (If on the app, tap the 3 vertical dots “menu” button then tap “report a problem”)
- Center the red box on your home, & select “My home” in the “Request blurring” field
- Write in the provided field why you want the image blurred (for example, you may be concerned about safety issues).
- Enter in your email address & click “Submit”. Note: This tactic could also draw attention.
5-Step Contingency Planning
BLUF: In the event of an undesirable occurrence, proper planning prevents secondary negative outcomes. Consider the need to notify others before taking to the woods to man track, explore, check on the sounds of gunfire behind your house, or travel out of state.
If you’re about to head out during uncertain times (like an LAE); or if you’re a police officer responding to possible armed robbery; or if you’re going on a hike alone in the woods; or any other similar at-risk situation, apply GOTWA.
(G) where I’m Going
(O) Others I’m taking
(T) Time of my return
(W) What to do if I don’t return
(A) Actions to take if
Tell a family member or partner the above information in case you get lost, need backup, rescue, or to further their chance of success. (Example: I’m hiking the Gold Mtn Trail alone on Jan 4th and starting the trip at Springer Gap. I expect to complete the hike on Jan 11th at Falls Creek. I won’t have cell coverage until after Jan 9th. I will resupply at Siler city and call you on the 9th. If you don’t hear from me by the 10th, send help.)
You can apply GOTWA to daily life or crisis situations.
This is an article from the Hip Pocket Briefing booklet. By a copy here.
This article was originally written by the Grayman Briefing. Stay in the know, sign up for Intel and Situational Awareness alerts pushed to your phone on emerging threats and preparedness warnings. Click HERE to subscribe to the Grayman Briefing.